Saturday, August 23, 2014

Day 12 - Florence, Uffizi Gallery, and Shopping

This will be another low content day. After breakfast, we walked to the Uffizi Gallery which is a huge art gallery full of famous works. The only one I got a picture of was the Birth of Venus which I'm sure you'll recognize.

It was done in 1486 by Botticelli. The painting is quite large - 68" by 110". This museum was a bit odd in that some paintings were in air conditioned rooms behind a thick piece of plexiglass while other parts of the museum were not air conditioned/climate controlled at all. Our guide was really quite upset about this. It did seem very odd to me as well.

As I said, the place was huge and if you were an art history buff, you'd be in heaven in this place. This is the stuff in Italy that interests me the least I'm afraid. The tour lasted a couple of hours and afterwards Barb and Nan went shopping again. Mitch went to another museum and I headed back to the hotel to give my feet the day off. This was also our first rainy day so there would have been little I could do to take pictures outside.

I spent a couple hours reading on my ipad and then went out for a 1 hour walk. By that time, the rain had stopped and I got a few more pictures. I stopped into a gelato place and had a cone for lunch. It was delicious. I came back to the hotel, read a little more and took a little nap. Nan got back just before 5pm and is taking her own nap now. :-)

So at about 7pm, we headed out to find dinner on our last evening in Florence. We found this little ristorante.

We sat at these outdoor tables and had a wonderful dinner. During dinner, there was a man playing the flute in the piazza and it was so beautiful. Here's the piazza after dinner.

We then walked across to the other side of the river and had some more gelato. It really is better than ice cream. And finally, we came back to our hotel with the church across the river reflecting on the calm water.

Tomorrow we leave Florence and take a train to Venice for our last 2 days of our trip. Until then... Ciao!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment